Thursday, September 4, 2008

Unemployment

I need to blog this latest event in our lives...I was fired from my job yesterday. It had been slowly leading up to this. The Director and I have not seen eye-to-eye since she took over last October. I've been written up 4 times since December for various things and yesterday they told me I was done there. I was paid for last week, this week (the holiday, a vacation day and yesterday), and my leftover vacation time. I haven't been happy there for awhile and have been under a lot of pressure and stress so one the one hand, it's good to be out. I will also have time to be more involved at Tucker's school and have already sent a note to his teacher telling her I am available to be Class Mom and/or volunteer in the classroom. I met yesterday with the principal and co-presidents of PTO (I'm vice) to coordinate some of the beginning school year stuff and let them know. I joined some of the other parent councils. I did file for unemployment and am hoping to get some per diem work until I find something permanent. I will have insurance coverage through the end of the month and I'm waiting to talk to the Human Resources lady about COBRA which we will probably try to swing if we can because it's supposed to be easier to switch over to a new employer's insurance. I'm looking into getting HUSKY for Tucker (the insurance plan for low-middle income kids in CT) because even though I know Michael and I need insurance, I think it's more important to have Tucker covered. I know the resources to get help paying for medications, I know the resources. I just didn't think I'd have to use them for us. We're trying to be positive and hope that I will find something soon but when you get right down to it, it's pretty darn scary.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Oh Wow! It sounds like you're handling it really well, and jumping right into school activities. It is probably a bleesing in disguise and whatever you end up doing next is what is meant to be.

ann marie said...

you sound calm about the whole thing...i agree with julie, it is probably a blessing and you can think if it as being "set free" instead of being fired, just don't say that at the unemployment office, cause they'll think you are nuts!
and thanks for commenting on and visiting my site

crispy said...

Sorry to hear about the job. Hope you are able to make ends meet without it or that you are able to find a new one that is a better fit.