Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lutz Children's Museum and Pretzels

As Julie pointed out, it has been a couple of days since my last post! I did have some pictures to go with this post but my computer and camera are not getting along again and I think I may have lost them (like I lost the pictures of the soccer game and Julie's visit). So, alas, I will tell of our adventures and add the pictures IF I ever recover them!

Yesterday Tucker had a 1/2 day so we spent our usual 45 minutes after school playing with his friends Freddie and Maddie (they were all in the same kindergarten class last year and they each have a different teacher this year). They have a really great time together and Colby was also there (the boy Tucker played with after school when I had to set up the refreshments for the Open House). so anyway after they played, Tucker and I had lunch at MacDonald's and headed to the Lutz Children's Museum in Manchester (about a 45 minute drive). (We have a reciprocal membership with our children's museum in Niantic so it's free to get into other ones!) I had never been there but Michael had taken him last spring, I think. It basically consisted of two large rooms, one a sea theme and the other a farm theme. Tucker said the sea theme room was new and there was a boat to play in as well as wooden fish to be caught. In the farm theme room, you can "milk" a cow (it's really water) and collect the eggs from the fake chickens. (Didn't want you think there were live chickens in the building, although I guess that would be kind of cool. There's also an area where they have rescued animals. Tucker and this other little boy got to touch a box turtle which was kind of cool. We ended up spending about 2 hours there so I guess Tucker found a lot to do! We then came home to do homework, have supper, and try our hand at making pretzels! I had bought a box of pretzel mix when I was at the Christmas Tree Shop in Cape Cod. (Yes I realized that I could probably make it myself now that I'm such a whiz with pizza dough on Fridays!) So anyway Tucker mixed the dough, we let it rise, and Michael even helped us roll out the dough into pretzels. Tucker dipped the pretzels in the water/baking soda and put them on the tray. They actually came out very yummy! I may try looking for a pretzel dough recipe which I guess would pretty much be the same as pizza dough. Okay so I'm not so domesticated but I am trying!

1 comment:

Julie said...

How fun! You guys do some great things!