Monday, September 1, 2008

The Other Labor Day (in my case, only one!)

I saw this on Jul's blog and stole her title!

How long was your labor?
I started having contractions around 9,9:30pm but it wasn't until around 11:30 that they became more regular (and HURT more). Michael was playing in a dart tournament and I called him there on our TRACphone (which was a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law for just this purpose; hard to believe we never had cellphones now!) So anyway, Michael came flying home in about 10 minutes (should have been a 20-25 minute drive). We got in the car and headed to the hospital where we called our parents. My parents came down right away (relatively speaking: they live 45 minutes away). After being on monitors and walking laps for almost 3 hours, they decided I was in "false Labor" (don't even get me started!) I was actually only dilated 3 cm. What I remember most about being on the monitors was my dad telling me jokes to make me laugh through the contractions. So we went home (my parents came too) and were back at the hospital at 5:30. By 7 am, they had given me pitocin (however it's spelled) and broke my water. Even though I wasn't any more dilated, it was clear this baby wasn't staying in! They told me I'd have a baby by noon. HAH! what do they know?! I labored until 3pm when the Doctor though I should "consider" a c-section (see below). Tucker was born at 3:52pm. So I guess that makes 16-17 hours.

How did you know you were in labor?
I had experienced Brach-Hicks (sorry if I spelled it wrong) before but these were a LOT different.

Where did you deliver?
At Lawrence & Memorial Hospital in New London, CT

C-section?
Yes, see story above. What I wanted to add was that when I first found out I was pregnant, I was told I wouldn't be able to have a baby more than 6 lbs because of the size of my pelvis so when at month to go, they told me I was going to have at least an 8-8 1/2 lb baby (he was 8.6), I wanted to schedule a c-section. They wouldn't. I do clearly remember when the doctor told me we would have to "consider" a c-section, I told him he could take it out my nose for all I cared (I was just a little tired and had been given a lot of pain meds. So much in fact that they didn't have to give me any more to do the c-section. At my "check-up" at the office after I had Tucker, the doctor told me that if I had any more children ,we would definitely schedule a c-section!

Drugs?
See above

Who delivered?
I'll borrow from Jul again...you mean, besides me?! Our doctor was Dr. Levin and I will always remember the moment he said "it's a boy!" (we had decided not to find out the sex, believing that this is the one of the few real surprises you can have in life).

Anyone want to add their Labor Day story (-ies)?

1 comment:

Prudy said...

I don't have a story that could compare to that one! I'm hoping this Labor Day was much calmer for you. Thanks so much for coming by my blog and leaving such a kind comment. It made my day!