Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Resolutions


I saw this in the newspaper this morning and thought it was appropriate to live for each day rather than make a list of resolutions I never end up keeping...

Dear Abby's oft-requested list of New Year's resolutions

JUST FOR TODAY, I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things that I can correct and accept those I cannot.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I'll improve my appearance, speak softly, and not interrupt when someone else is talking. Just for today, I'll refrain from improving anybody but myself.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will do something positive to improve my health. If I'm a smoker, I'll quit. If I'm overweight, I'll eat healthily - if only just for today. And not only that, I'll get off the couch and take a brisk walk, even if it's only around the block.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

This is great. It really is best to take it one day at a time.

Tiffany said...

I have never read that before but I like it. I'm feeling overwhelmed about some things today and my overwhelmedness translates into grumpiness with my family.
I have been meaning to check out your blog for weeks and I was rewarded with just what I needed for today!
I look forward to becoming a regular reader. I always enjoy your comments on the other blogs.