Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What's On Your Nightstand?



This is my first time participating! I thought I'd share not only what's on my nightstand but also what my 6 yo son Tucker is up to with regards to books!
-The Wives of Henry VIII by Antonia Fraser. Almost done with this! I started out reading The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory and got hooked on this time period. This is a nonfiction account of the lives of Henry VIII wives. I even learned a little rhyme to remember their outcomes, so to speak: "Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived".
-The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory. This is a fictional account of Catherine of Aragon's life with King Henry (she was the 1st queen).
- Mademoiselle Boleyn by Robin Maxwell. Before Anne Boleyn (the 2nd queen) came to the English court, her family had sent her and her sister Mary to the French court. This is the fictionalized account of their time there. Yes you are seeing somewhat of a "theme" here-I'm planning to read about the queens in order.
-Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates and After This by Alice McDermott. I picked these up with the Borders gift card I received for my birthday. Once I get through with the court of Henry VIII, I will move on to these or if I need to take a break.


My son's "nightstand" (actually a stack in the living room) consists of the following:
-Peter Rabbit and Eleven Other Favorite Tales by Beatrix Potter. Actually for the Beatrix Potter Children's Classics Carnival coming up on March 10th. I plan to read the stories with my son.
-Good Night, Good Knight by Shelby Moore Thomas
-The Three Little Fish and The Big Bad Shark by Ken Geist (a spin on the Three Little Pigs that looked fun)
-Jack and Jill and Big Dog Bill
by Martha Watson (an easy reader that I thought he'd enjoy reading to us)
-Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat by Cynthia Rylant (another easy reader)
-Three Little Cajun Pigs by Mike Artell (our book for Mardi Gras)
-20 Hungry Piggies by Trudy Harris and Hamlet and the Magnificent Sand Castle by Brian Lies; both are for National Pig Day on March 1st

You'll have to check out my Kid's Picks in March to see if any of these made Tucker's "picks"!

11 comments:

Trish said...

I love that you included your son's stack as well! Reading about the queens of Henry VIII sounds like an interesting challenge. Enjoy!

Stephanie said...

I like your idea about reading through the queens in order! I'll have to remember that. :) Glad you participated this time.

gail@more than a song said...

That is fun to see your son's reading stack!
My sister might have fiction books by Phillippa Gregory, if so I'm sure I'll borrow them eventually.
I like your rhyme!

ibeeeg said...

I read The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory and really liked it. I will need to put this one you listed on my TBR list.

Liked your son's list.

Carma Sez said...

Your son has great taste in books. My son (who is now a teen) loved the Cynthia Rylant books - especially the Poppleton series. We still remember quotes from them.
carma

Michele said...

So far I've read two of Gregory's books: The Other Boleyn Girl and the Boleyn Inheritance...I have The Queen's Fool sitting on my bookshelf but have not started it yet. I need to read the Constant Princess as well...I wish that I would have started out with it!

Thanks for the other great suggestions!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Wow so you're doing some history reading.

Mine

Lindsay said...

I watched the movie before reading The Other Bolyen Girl book. I therefore havent had the motivation to pick the book up. But I hope to read it soon! Such a fun way to read through all of the queens in order :-)

Unknown said...

I'm glad you joined in!

I am familiar with the Gregory books, but not some of the other authors.

If you want to do a Books on Screen for Revolutionary Road, send us a note at 5M4B.

The third Tuesday of the month we focus on "Kids' Picks," so while you are more than welcome to share what they are reading in this carnival, be sure to participate in that one too!

Nise' said...

Love historical fiction too!

Tiffany said...

I'll have to check out Phillipa Gregory when I finally make it through my latest stack. I love historical fiction!