Monday, June 8, 2009

Take A Chance Challenge Choices


I've made some choices regarding some of my books for the challenge!

1. Random Book Selection- TBD

2. Random Word: The random word I received was "above". I chose Above the Thunder by Renee Manfredi. From the book jacket: "...a novel of journeys, of the paths four people take because their lives are lacking in some significant way". I finished reading this over the weekend and will be writing it up shortly.

3. Birth Year Book:I was born in 1970 and when looking through the books published that year, I'm undecided between The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison or Love Story by Erich Segal. I haven't read either of them and both look interesting.

4. Judge A Book By Its Cover: TBD

5. Phoning an Author- The name I picked out of the phone book was Bradley. I decided on Weaver's Daughter by Kimberley Brubaker Bradley. From Amazon: "After writing two WWI novels (Ruthie's Gift and One-of-a-Kind Mallie), Bradley turns to the close of the 18th century to gently explore the fears of a pioneer girl afflicted with asthma. Lizzy Baker, a 10-year-old living in the Southwest Territory, dreads the coming of each autumn when she suffers her sick spells. Convinced that she cannot survive another bout, Lizzy is haunted by her impending death until a neighbor, the local midwife, reminds her that she has two choices about how to spend the rest of her days: to be "afraid of everything" or to be "afraid of nothing at all."

6. Public Spying: TBD

7. Random Bestseller: I received the year 1955 and chose Love Is Eternal: A Novel About Mary Todd and Abraham Lincoln by Irving Stone. I have always been fascinated by Mary Todd Lincoln and thought this would be a good one for me.

8. Lit Riff: TBD

9. Poetic Review: TBD

10. Movie/Book Comparison- I chose Because of Winn-Dixie for this one. I've been thinking about reading the book and it would be interesting to see how it will compare to the movie.

I will fill in all the TBDs as I find them!

1 comment:

Jenners said...

I want to thank you again for joining in the Take A Chance Challenge. I thought maybe 4 or 5 people might join ... but 41 people have already signed up! To help better keep track of things, I created a page that you can use to link up your blog posts when you have completed any of the 10 challenges. The link is here:

http://findyournextbookhere.blogspot.com/2009/06/where-to-post-your-take-chance.html

In addition to making it easier to track everyone's entries, this system will let you easily find other entries for the same challenge that you have done in case you are interested.

Again, thanks for joining in! I am so excited to see what you all will be reading and writing about. Sounds like you have some good books already!