Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Thursday Thirteen-Mothers



In honor of Mother's Day this Sunday, I have found 13 quotes about mothers/motherhood. To join and/or see others' lists, click here.


1. The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh

2. I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life. ~Abraham Lincoln

3. All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his. ~Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest, 1895

4. A mother is she who can take the place of all others but
whose place no one else can take."
-- Cardinal Mermillod

5. When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty

6. If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands? ~Milton Berle

7. All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother. ~Abraham Lincoln

8. My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon

9. I love my mother as the trees love water and sunshine - she helps me grow, prosper, and reach great heights. ~Adabella Radici

10. A little girl, asked where her home was, replied, "where mother is." ~Keith L. Brooks

11. A mother's arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them. ~Victor Hugo

12. With what price we pay for the glory of motherhood. ~Isadora Duncan

13. There's nothing like a mama-hug. ~Adabella Radici

12 comments:

Mari said...

These are good. My favorite is #1.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

I'll take 4 more hands please :)

jenn said...

Beautiful! I like the first one...so true.

Hazellie said...

Great quotes! But with #1, it's only true if it's the first child for that particular woman, isn't it? If it's her second, or third, or so on, child, she's already a mother... =P

I'm feeling quite contrary today, I wonder why. =)

Unknown said...

Very nice. I miss my Mom.
Happy T13!

Journeywoman said...

Nice quotes. My TT is up, but it is honoring women who are not mothers.

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

I love reading quote, and I love your #4 & 13. Happy Mommy's Day!
My Thursday 13

Chris said...

wonderful! i like number 1 the best! :D

happy mother's day!!!

Mia Celeste said...

Oh, these quotes are all good. I was trying to pick a favorite, but I like them all. Happy TT!

I am Harriet said...

Love the mothers day theme!

Susan Cook said...

Wow! Great quotes. I esp. like #3 #7 and #10.

Thanks for sharing. Happy TT & Mother's Day!

Tracey said...

Thanks for visiting my list of Mother's Day quotes :) Love number 9 on your list!