Monday, May 4, 2009

"I've Got Good News, Mommy!"

What mother wouldn't want to be greeted with this question?

Especially when it's followed by "I'm reading chapter books in school now!" As each of the kids in his class have improved, they've moved from the level 2-type books to chapter books! He's one of 6 in his class to do so! It also means he's reading "real" books, starting with Henry and Mudge by Cynthia Rylant. He'll read a chapter (or two) in school and then read it to us at night. For those of you who may not know, Tucker really struggled with learning to read and was in summer school last summer because of it. He's in Reading Lab this year and was even evaluated by the Speech Therapist at the beginning of the year! I wish I could have taken a picture of his face when he told me; he was practically bursting!

Every week he has gotten to be a stronger and more confident reader and we are so proud of him! Here he is reading to me tonight

4 comments:

Mari said...

Hooray for Tucker! I remember how excited my kids were when they started reading chapter books.

crispy said...

I love when they are learning to read. I still buy books like that when I find them at yard sales. I love having them around for early reading.

Tiffany said...

That is wonderful! I also have a struggling reader who is overcoming her struggles and learning to read! I'm buying her some books on Amazon tonight to reward her with when she finishes her reader.

Julie said...

Yeah Tucker!!