After particpating in Weekly Geeks' literary tour, I thought I'd do my Thursday Thirteen this week on Thirteen Famous People who were either born or lived in CT and contributed greatly to our state.
1. Ethan Allen(1738 - 1789) American Revolutionary soldier. Most widely known for his participation in the capture of Fort Ticonderoga. Born in Litchfield, CT
2. Benedict Arnold (1741 - 1801) A captain of the Colonial Army turned British spy. He is famous for burning down the town of New London; since then, his name has meant "traitor;". Born in Norwich, CT
3. Phineas T. Barnum (1810 - 1891) A founder of the Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus. Born in Bethel, CT
4. John Brown (1800 - 1859) Infamous abolitionist during the Civil War. Born in Torrington, CT
5. Samuel Colt(1814 - 1862) Inventor and founder of the Colt firearm company. Born in Hartford, CT
6. William Gillette (1853-1937) Actor/Playwirght, famous for portraying Sherlock Holmes.
7. Charles Goodyear (1800 - 1860) Inventor of vulcanized rubber. Born in New Haven, CT
8. Ella T. Grasso (1919-1981)
First woman elected Governor in CT
9. Nathan Hale (1755 - 1776) A martyr soldier of the American Revolution. Famous for saying I only regreat that I have but one life to lose for my country. Born in Coventry, CT.
10. Katherine Hepburn (1907 - 2003) Famous actress who won four Academy Awards for best actress. Born in Hartford, CT.
11. Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811 - 1896) Abolitionist and humanitarian; author of Uncle Tom's Cabin; lived in Brunswick. Born in Litchfield, CT.
12. Noah Webster (1758 - 1843) Author of the first dictionary published in 1807; from West Hartford. Born in Hartford, CT.
13. Eli Whitney (1765-1825) Inventor of the cotton gin.