Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Books and Reading

I'm going to borrow this title from Julie because calling it a "meme" just seems odd. (apparently when you participate in one of these blog "tag-you're-it
things", it's called a "meme"). Whatever I'm calling it, I'm SO excited to do this; it's right up my alley!

1. Do you remember how you developed a love for reading? My mother was always reading and I can remember going to the Columbia library to get books every week, as well as taking books out of the school library.

2. What are some books you read as a child? everything by Judy Blume, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Beverly Cleary. I also liked Richard Scarry books (which I have passed down to Tucker). Also Charlotte's Web, The Secret Garden. I was also VERY into Nancy Drew (the books are still in my mom's attic).

3. What is your favorite genre? I'd have to say romance/friendship but NOT harlequin-type. I also like mystery books (Like James Patterson) and true-crime

4. Do you have a favorite novel, favorite series? To Kill a Mockingbird and The Catcher in the Rye are two of my very favorite classics. Otherwise anything by Elizabeth Berg, Anita Shreve, and lately Jodi Picoult. One of my favorite series is the "Flowers in the Attic" series by VC Andrews.

5. Where do you usually read? In bed, on the couch, my favorite place is the deck. Just about anywhere---sometimes standing in the kitchen while waiting for something to cook on the stove.

6. When do you usually read? Whenever I possibly can!

7. Do you have more than one book you are reading at a time? Sometimes, usually when I have a non-fiction book I'm reading (which is a nice segue-way...)

8. Do you read non-fiction in a different way or place than you read fiction? I will usually skip around to what interests me the most and then will sometimes read from the beginning. I'm not particular about the place although depending on the topic, I might wait until Tucker is asleep or engrossed in what he is doing (playing outside, for example) if I really want to concentrate).

9. Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library? I used to think I needed to own EVERY book I ever read but after moving 5 times (which I know isn't really a LOT), I've scaled down my books. Mostly I try to check books out of the library, although I don't usually get much of a chance to choose books for me so I usually buy books for me at tag sales, Goodwill, etc. (I'm also really bad about returning them on time so it's sort of defeats the purpose; I'm particularly bad with DVDs and they cost more!) We usually check books out of the library for Tucker and then if he REALLY likes the book, I sometimes buy it (remember, I LOVE eBay).

10. Do you keep most of the books you buy? It depends on the book. If I don't feel like it would interest me the second time around, I usually pass it on to goodwill or the used book store.

11. If you have children, what are some of the favor tie books you have shared with them? My Richard Scarry books and we have added to it with other books, too. Also my Sesame Street alphabet books (All the stories/features in the book are focused on that particular letter). Grover's "There's a Monster Hiding at the End of the Book". I'm looking forward to reading the "Charlie and Chocolate Factory" books with him; he likes both the original and new movie versions. (I think we all enjoy the original more, it's called "wonka" in our house!)

12. What are you reading now? I just finished "Rush Home Road". Not sure what I will read next; I picked up a couple of paperbacks last week at a thrift shop so I'll pick one of those.

13. Do you keep a TBR (To Be Read) list? Not only in my head but also on any piece of paper I can find whether it's for me or Tucker.

14. What's next? See #12. I also picked up "the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families" at the same thrift store so I'll be reading that, too.

15. What books would you like to reread? Nothing in particular at this moment but I usually reread these every year: "I know this much is true" (Wally Lamb), "summer sisters" (Judy Blume), Outer Banks (Anne River Siddons), "Where the heart is" (can't think of the author right now, the one where the girl has her baby in walmart). Also the "Flowers in the Attic" series and "Sweet Audrina" by VC Andrews.

16. Who are you favorite authors? Anita Shreve, Elizabeth Berg, Judy Blume, James Patterson (the mystery ones), Laura Ingalls Wilder, Luanne Rice, Nicholas Sparks, Jan Karon. (these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head)

No comments: