Sunday, October 25, 2009

Take A Chance Challenge-Judge A Book By Its Cover




White Ghost Girls by Alice Greenway
Something about this book cover of two girls playing on the beach intrigued me during the summer. It is the story of two American girls, Frankie and Kate, who are living in Hong Kong in the summer of 1967. The story is told in first person from the perspective of the younger sister, Kate. Their father is a photographer in Vietnam and though he doesn't come home often, he is still an important figure in the story, as the girls and their mother battle for his affection when he is at home. They are considered an oddity, white ghost girls, in China. The story is of their close bond which works both for and against them.

I wasn't sure if I was going to like the book at first but by the end, found that I couldn't read it fast enough and had to re-read the ending a few times, as it has a very unexpected twist that I never saw coming. I'm glad I stuck with it because I did end up enjoying it.

No comments: