Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Take A Chance Challenge-Phoning An Author



I read the book Weaver's Daughter by Kimberley Brubaker Bradley. This is the story of life in the Southwest Territory in the 18th century. The main character, Lizzie, has asthma and is usually very sick through the fall during harvest time. This makes things very difficult on this family as they struggle to make it day by day and particularly when she is ill as they do not have the resources to pay for medicine for her.

In some ways, it reminded me of Little House on the Prairie as they dealt with a lot of the same issues. This story also dealt with the differences in classes (black/white, rich/poor) which was surprisingly well-covered in a book meant for middle school readers.

It was a good story and I found myself identifying with and cheering for the characters. It was also a quick, light read and I finished it in about a day.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I think I want to read that one! I'm getting ready to post some of my "reading challenges" tomorrow.

Jenners said...

Sounds like an interesting and informative read! I imagine it would be hard to have allergies in the "olden" days before Benadryl or Claritin. I know I wouldn't do well without my modern convenience and medicine.