Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Random thoughts on a Tuesday night

-I didn't get around to doing my Daybook yesterday and I don't feel like organizing my thoughts tonight.
-We had another snow day today but it didn't really snow-it was more like freezing rain.
-We're expecting more freezing rain tonight into tomorrow so there will probably not be school again tomorrow.
-I'm pretty sure that last thought is not grammatically correct but I'm not going to fix it.
-At the risk of sounding like a bad mom, I'm wishing Tucker had school tomorrow. this staying home thing is for the birds on days like this. Other snow days he's played outside because it was snowing but freezing rain is just not fun to play in1
-We haven't had a full week of school in well over a month due to the snow. Last week, Tucker pointed out we had an early dismissal, a 2 hr delay, and a snow day and wondered when we would do that again!
-I am feeling much better and looking forward to returning to work on Valentine's Day. Although I am really tired which one of my friends at work had warned me about. So even though I'm not having any pain, I do feel the need to take a nap/rest in the afternoon.
-I took down the snowmen and put Valentine's Day up. Besides the fact that is was time to do this, I also felt like it was encouraging the snow Gods to send more snow. I'm going to attempt to climb the snow bank and change the flag out front. The mini-Christmas flag is buried under a four foot pile of snow and probably won't be seen until spring (if that ever comes)
-We keep postponing celebrating my birthday with the family due to the snow. We are supposed to do it this Sunday but we're expecting another snowstorm Saturday so we're on standby. I told my m-i-l tonight that we could celebrate it with Tucker's in April-maybe the snow will be gone by then-lol.
-Tucker and I finished reading From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler tonight and I really enjoyed reading it with him. We took turns reading it. He asked a lot of really good questions and we had a lot of good discussion about it! We're planning a summer trip to NYC this summer and he's looking forward to going to the Met.
-I finished The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest over the weekend and actually enjoyed it. I think my favorite of the three was the second one.
-I read Lord of the Flies which I remember seeing in high school in my psychology class. Not sure if I ever actually read the book; I had a copy for years and then must have gotten rid of it. I found one for $1 at a used book store.
-I'm trying to focus more on reading the classics this year as well as a few reading challenges. You can check out what I'm reading at my book blog. Today I started Oliver Twist for a read-along (and also because I was curious about Dickens, having never read him before, other than A Christmas Carol, which I just read.)
-Tucker's second session of indoor soccer starts this week. The whole team is returning so we should have another good session! these kids also play spring soccer together. Tucker is wanting to continue in soccer and maybe do baseball too. His fall soccer coach had told him he could play games in between the baseball games if he wants to and I think we may take him up on that. He's really liking both sports.
-Even though it's only 8:30, I am so ready for bed!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I think it's so funny that we're both in take down snowmen mode. I guess it's not all that surprising as it is Feb 1st, but still it's funny. Ours came down yesterday but aren't away yet and the Valentine stuff has been hanging around waiting to go up, but it's not there yet. It's a little disheartening that you are recovering from surgery and still considerably ahead of me! Jonathan just listened to Lord of the Flies a few weeks ago. I am going to be reading The mixed up files... Jonathan and Madi both read it. I've read other things by Konisburg but have lost track of what's what.

Scrappy Grams said...

Recovering from surgery can take such a long while. Try to remember that taking time now will help forego complications. Take care. Warm wishes are being sent to you.
Love that you're reading with your child!